Awad & Khoury, LLP
Pace University School of Law, J.D.
School of Oriental and African Studies, U. of London, M.A.
Saint Peter’s University, B.A., Political Science
Abed Awad is a founding partner of Awad & Khoury, LLP located in Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey. His practice in the New Jersey / New York area focuses on complex matrimonial law, estate planning (including Islamic estate planning), Islamic
law, international law, and business law. Mr. Awad is AV rated by Martindale and is a fellow of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Mr. Awad has native fluency in Arabic is an international expert in Islamic law and the laws of the Middle
Mr. Awad has testified, consulted, and/or provided expert reports for courts and attorneys throughout the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Singapore concerning the interpretation and application of Shari’a (Islamic law) and the laws of Muslim countries, including the laws of Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Syria, Palestine, Iran, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (including Dubai and Abu Dhabi), Iraq, Lebanon, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Oman, Yemen, Malawi, Djibouti, Mali, Qatar, Kuwait, Libya, Singapore, Indonesia, and the Gambia, among others.
Mr. Awad is an adjunct law professor at Rutgers Law School, Newark, and has taught at Pace Law School and Seton Hall Law School. Courses taught include Matrimonial Litigation, Islamic Banking & Finance, and Islamic Jurisprudence. Mr.
Awad was also a contributor and U.S. Editor for Harvard Law School’s Islamic Legal Studies Program ShariaSource portal (2015-2019). Mr. Awad is the founder of Shariawiz, an online portal for Muslim-American estate planning.
As a frequent public speaker at bar associations, universities, conventions, and political events, Mr. Awad lectures on subjects ranging from law, politics, gender, religion, and culture internationally, and he has more than 200 television and radio
appearances as a political and/or legal commentator for numerous media outlets, including The New York Times, ABC, CNN, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, AlJazeera, BBC, NPR, Dream TV, French 24 (Arabic), and Al-Arabia. Mr. Awad has also published extensively in various publications, including The Star Ledger, Oxford Encyclopedia of Islam and Women, New Jersey Law Journal, CNN.com, National Law Journal, North Carolina Lawyers Weekly, and The Nation, among others.
- “Ruling upends Muslin marriage tradition,” August 6, 2020
- “A Muslim American Reflects on the 100th Anniversary of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution,” July 4, 2020
- “The Sharia Moral Epistemology is More Progressive, Nuanced, and Understanding of a Woman’s Right to Terminate her Pregnancy than the Supreme Court’s Conservative Justices,” June 29, 2020
- “The Ummah as Formed, Lived, and Practiced by the Prophet Muhammed is the Way to End Anti-Black Racism in the Muslim Community,” June 29, 2020
- “Alabama’s abortion law is not ‘Christian Sharia,’ professor says. Sharia isn’t as inflexible, as draconian,” Star Ledger, May 23, 2019
- “Don’t be surprised if one of these horrific massacres happens ‘at a mosque near you,’ N.J. Muslim attorney says,” Star Ledger, March 15 2019
- “Opinion: History, fasting and the festive spirit of Ramadan,” The Record, June 12, 2018
- Harvard Law School’s Islamic Law Program’s ShariaSource Blog (Peer Reviewed):
- “Islamic Center of Nashville: Ijara Financing Cancels Religious Tax Exemption for Financed Property,” December 12, 2017
- “Islamic Law in U.S. Courts: Anti-Shari’a Ban in Kansas,” July 14 , 2017
- “Does a Muslim Inmate Have a First Amendment Right to a Halal Meal?” September 8, 2016
- “No Newt: Anti-Shari’a Rhetoric Doesn’t Change the Law,” July 18, 2016
- “I’m a NJ Muslim: How I Celebrate Jesus’ Birth With My Family,” Star Ledger, December 24, 2016
- “16 is a little young to get married, isn’t it? Not in N.J.,” Star Ledger, November 13, 2016
- “Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movements,” Jurist, June 11, 2016
- “Why NJ shouldn’t Block Freedom of Speech in Israeli Boycott Debate,” Star Ledger, May 26, 2016
- “5 things you didn’t know about religious veils,” CNN.com, June 9, 2015
- “What ISIS – and the West – gets wrong about ‘jihad’,” CNN.com, May 29, 2015